Amputation Injury Lawsuits
Recovering Compensation for Amputation Victims
Amputation injuries may result from:
- Medical malpractice,
- Defective products,
- Motor vehicle collisions,
- Falls, and
- Work place injuries.
We have obtained successful results in a variety of cases including:
- Above the knee amputations;
- Below the knee amputations;
- Upper Extremity Amputations; and
- Partial Amputations
An amputation is a life altering injury that presents unique and significant economic and emotional burdens. Compensation of amputation victims must provide for the past, present, and future economic and non-economic loss suffered. We obtain recoveries for victims of amputations that include monetary compensation for the lifetime effect of these injuries including:
- Lost wages;
- Impaired earning capacity;
- Destruction of earning capacity;
- Past medical expenses;
- Future medical expenses and rehabilitation costs;
- Cost of prosthetics including future replacement costs;
- Costs associated with adaptation of the amputee’s home and living arrangements;
- Pain and suffering; and
- The emotional toll of amputation.
Helping Amputees Navigate Complex Legal Issues
More than the typical case, the loss of a body part presents unique challenges that require an experienced lawyer. It is critical for an attorney to work with treating physicians, expert witnesses, life care planners, economists and other professionals to assure that maximum compensation is recovered.
Amputations Caused by Medical Malpractice
Statistics indicate an estimated 60% of all amputations are preventable. Amputation is considered medical malpractice when the doctor or medical professional fails to adhere to accepted standards of care.
Examples of medical malpractice that cause amputation include the following:
- Improper application of a cast causing compartment syndrome;
- Mismangement of infections;
- Mismangement of wounds;
- Surgical complications; and
- Wrong site surgery.
If you believe that an amputation suffered by a loved one was preventable and was due to another’s negligence or malpractice contact an experienced malpractice lawyer. Call Patrick J. Filan.